Saturday 26 December 2020

DECEMBER 26TH - THE SECOND DAY OF CHRISTMAS

 


The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.

Psalm 28:7

 He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds. Psalm 147:3

The 2010 film, 127 Hours, is based on the experiences of mountaineer Aron Ralston. His is a true story of life over limb, in which Aron takes extraordinary measures to escape a life-threatening situation, while canyoneering in Utah’s Canyonlands National Park. During the ordeal the climber is gifted with the vision of a future son, which Aron credits for showing him the path to survival. The vision of a child, to be born, becomes hope itself.

Watching the film, shortly after its release, marked a turning point for me as a new parent of twins. It was the first time I imagined myself in the role, not as protagonist, but of his worried mother. I found myself unsettled by thoughts of our son or daughter, one day, being in similarly perilous situations—threatened by physical or spiritual harm.

Our ability to protect those we love will always be limited. When loved ones face trials, I sometimes feel stressed by my inability to relieve their suffering. In these moments, I am learning to pray to God, that he will reach out to those in need and that their hearts may be open to Him.

This Christmas a messiah has come bearing a message to look beyond material riches into the wealth of human character. To us all is born that infant, the Prince of Peace, hope itself.  

Alleluia!

 The Lord shall reign for ever, even thy God, O Zion, unto all generations. Praise ye the Lord. (Psalm 146:10)

- Alison Goodwin